Mavs Regain Confidence With Win Over Leander

Image by Deandra Gonzalez
Junior Clayton Haag pitches against Round Rock on March 26.

Sometimes teams just need a few games outside of their district play to get the ball rolling again. That was the case for the Mavericks as they took on Leander Thursday night in a non-district match-up.

Matt Tobolka took the mound for the Mavs and threw two solid innings while only allowing two hits. The offense broke out for the Mavs in the bottom of the first with Cameron Terrell driving in Tim Hunter from third base on just the second batter of the game. Terrell scored on an RBI groundout to second base by Alex Grant.

The Mavs were up 3-0 into the third inning when Sean Mason relieved Tobolka of his pitching duties on the mound. The Lions got off to a quick start against Mason with two straight singles followed by a triple by Garrett Venner to score the run. At the end of three innings of play the score was 4-2 Mavs.

The fifth inning brought more runs for the Mavs as Tobolka hit a double that scored Hayden Becker from second base. Steven Decarlo followed up with another RBI single to make the lead 6-2 Mavs.

“We knew we could hit the ball and score runs, you just have to focus and keep telling yourself that,” Terrell said.

That wouldn’t be the end of the scoring as the Mavs put on a scoring parade in the sixth inning. The highlight of the inning came off the bat of Tobolka, who knocked his – and the Mavs – first home run of the season to left field, scoring three runs. Decarlo finished off the Lions in the seventh to secure the 11-3 win for the Mavs.

“I know our team can play to the best of their ability,” Terrell said. “We just have to go out there looking to win and stay focused.”

The Mavs will play their next game Friday, April 19 at 7 p.m. against the Hendrickson Hawks at Hendrickson.