Senior wins in NFL Flag National Championships

Photo courtesy of Jordyn Woodward.

The Texas Fury 17u Flag Football team, representing the Kansas City Chiefs, won the NFL Flag National Championships on Sunday, Feb. 4. During double overtime and a tie of 14-14, the Texas Fury team went for and got a two-point attempt to win the game. Senior Jordyn Woodward plays linebacker and corner on defense of the Texas Fury team and was there to win the title.

Along with the glory of being National Champions, the team also got to experience playing in a real stadium in Florida and media on the field in the game.

“There was a lot of media, especially championship day with the pro-bowl going on,” Woodward said. “It was cool to be able to have the opportunity but also it was really crowded and stressful. Especially because I like to watch my teammates and with so many people being on the sideline it’s kind of hard and you have to worry about cords and bumping into someone and things like that.”

Their road to the championship game was also very important to them.

“In the semifinals we played against a team that we had been going head to head with for a few years now, just very back and forth in wins,” Woodward said. “It felt really good to be able to beat them kind of once and for all and make it to the championship.”

The team has been together for about eight years since the girls were about nine years old.

“It’s been really fun to make it to this point,” Woodward said. “The entire weekend it was a lot of anxiety but kind of in a positive way, being really excited and anxious to play.”

Woodward initially joined the game because of her younger brother’s interest in the sport.

“I started playing flag football and I always watched my younger brother’s games and he played tackle,” Woodward said. “So in my very first flag practice, I actually tackled the kid but basically I started playing because of my brother.”

To continue her flag football career, Woodward looks forward to playing in college.

“I actually just signed,” Woodward said. “And committed to a college called Baker University in Baldwin City Kansas.”