McNeil Loses Thriller To Round Rock, Eliminated From Playoffs

What was expected to be a home game Tuesday night for the Mavs turned into a road game at Round Rock due to a rain cancellation, pushing the home game back to Friday. Despite the unexpected circumstances, the Mavs didn’t let it affect their game, as they outplayed Round Rock all night long, despite the loss.

The game started with a few scoreless innings, as the first runs didn’t come until the third inning, when the Mavs struck. Junior shortstop Joseph Sandusky got on base with a single, before junior Will Hoggard tried to move him over. Round Rock got Joseph at second, but a wild throw allowed Hoggard to take the extra bag, so the Mavs got the same result. After sophomore Justin Sandusky got on base, and a few wild pitches, the Mavs had a 1-0 lead with a runner on second as Hoggard came around to score in the third. Then a huge double by junior Xander Covar scored Joseph from second, giving the Mavs a 2-0 lead. However, in the fourth inning, the Dragons got the runs back, scoring two and tying the game headed into the final innings. In the top of the seventh inning, McNeil had runners on second and third with the cleanup hitter up when either a miscommunication or a play that wasn’t executed properly led to an out on the basepaths, and stranded the runners. Round Rock got some base hits the next inning to get runners on the corners before a ground ball got stopped by the Mav infielders, but the throw home wasn’t in time, and Round Rock walked it off, winning 3-2.

With a record of 2-8, the Mavs are officially eliminated from the playoffs with four games to go. The remaining schedule has sixth place Stony Point twice, Round Rock and Cedar Ridge each once, who are both tied for first. The rest of the McNeil season will consist of the Mavs trying to mess with other teams’ seasons, and end the year right.