2012 Homecoming Pep Rally One to Remember

Image by Isabel Dayton
    Lead Counselor Gary Vaden cheers for the Mavericks at the homecoming pep rally.

Drumline led students into the gym as usual for the homecoming pep rally, but this rally was more unique than the average pep rally. There was of course the traditional kiss the pig affair, but there were also new activities to get the students excited for the game.

Theater teacher Aaron Johnson emceed at the pep rally in addition to dressing up as a cheerleader, along with social studies teacher Dan Nguyen, lead counselor, Gary Vaden and student teacher Paul Kleiman. The four men took the MAVS flags used at football games and waved them as they ran around the gym. To finish, they performed a routine that included some attempted toe-touches.

Seniors Spencer Pepper and Joseph Miele represented football and talked about coming out to the game to support the team. Seniors Kaelee Lewis and Claire Nelson informed everyone how the swim season is going. Lastly, seniors Sammy Snook and Katie Burnett talked about supporting “Dig for a Cure”, the foundation that promotes finding a cure for breast cancer.

The relay for this pep rally consisted of three tasks. Each contestant had to put on a swim cap and wheel themselves on a small scooter on their stomachs, come back, bounce a volleyball in the air, and put on football pads and throw a football through a hula hoop. Junior Matt Dubelbeis’ team completed the challenge before the other teams, winning first place.

“It was fun because we had better activities this time,” Dubelbeis said. “I enjoyed this contest because I’m easy going and don’t mind being put on the spot.”

FFA was in charge of bringing the pig for the kiss the pig contest. Senior Ryan Murphy and coach Erinn DeVoss collected the most money and were given the honor of wearing bright red lipstick and kissing the pig.

Student Council passed out beach balls for the students to toss around and to get the crowd pumped up and excited for the pep rally.

The new dance team, the Sapphire Dancers, had its debut performance performing with the Majestics.

“The pep rally was super fun,” Sapphire captain McKenzie Mattson said. “Everyone had a great time.

A few teachers dressed up as students with caps and basketball jerseys and competed in a dougie contest. Dance teacher Jamie Hatley won the contest with the best performance of the dance.

The Majestics then did the wobble and had people from the crowd, band and cheer participate.

Homecoming court nominees were announced and everyone on the ballot was called up and introduced.

“Homecoming pep rally is a fun way to get everyone excited for all the sports, groups and events that take place in the fall,” Pepper said.

Pepper was named Homecoming King and senior Chloe Dayton was named Queen, later that night at the football game.

To wrap up the live entertainment, choir students sang “Play That Funky Music” and accompanied it with a dance.

At the end of the pep rally, Student Council supplied the students in the bleachers with streamers to pass across for a streamer relay. Once they were stretched out, students participated in doing the wave holding their piece of the streamer.