Students Reflect About What Makes Them Thankful

A+Thanksgiving+food+collection+in+Mrs.+Cruzs+room+by+DECA.+The+cans+of+food+were+collected+for+Veterans+Day%2C+for+those+who+might+not+have+that+Thanksgiving+meal.+
Image by Rebecca Mitchell
A Thanksgiving food collection in Mrs. Cruz’s room by DECA. The cans of food were collected for Veteran’s Day, for those who might not have that Thanksgiving meal.

The holiday season is fast approaching and students are thinking about the time off, time to be spent with family, time away from homework and time to reflect on the things they have.

“Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks to everything [and everyone] that we normally don’t show appreciation for,” junior Dustin McCormack said.

Thanksgiving was formed on the basis of giving thanks through prayer – a religious act on a set date – in the first few Thanksgivings at Plymouth Rock. The first Thanksgiving was purely a gathering of people, the Native Americans and English. Today, Thanksgiving is often spent with family and friends feasting, watching football and the parade, or participating in community service.

“My favorite part of Thanksgiving is the coming together of people,” sophomore Ying Zhou said.   “It does not mean just being grateful for everything, but actually showing the appreciation towards others.”

Still today, the most common thought associated with Thanksgiving is the blessings in people’s lives.

“Thanksgiving to me is a time to be with family and reflect on what you truly are thankful for having,” freshmen Lauren Brown said. “[And] being able to have everything that you do because there are people out there with nothing and some days you forget., [Thanksgiving] is a day that you can go back and be thankful for everything.”