Cooler Weather Brings Warm, Tasty Beverages

The fall season brings in the hopes for cooler weather and the expectations for those warm autumn flavors. This is the time of the year local coffee shops, grocery stores and restuarants stock up with peppermint, eggnog, and cocoa treats.When the season ends or holiday parties result in empty shelves where those delicacies once sat in the store, wouldn’t you pay any cost to have a craving filled? Try making your own fall treat, and maybe even adding your own flare to it with baker’s craft.Here are recipes for homemade apple cider, eggnog and hot cocoa.

Apple Cider
Ingredients:
8 -10apples
1/2-1 cupsugar
4 tablespoonscinnamon (4 cinnamon sticks)
4 tablespoons allspice

Directions:

1. Place apples in a large stockpot and add enough water to cover by at least 2 inches. Stir in sugar, cinnamon and allspice. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil, uncovered, for 1 hour. Cover pot, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 hours.
  2. Strain apple mixture through a fine mesh sieve, discarding solids. Drain cider again through a cheesecloth lined sieve. Refrigerate until cold.

Eggnog
Ingredients:
6 eggs
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 quart milk
1/3 pint heavy whipping cream
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 pinch salt

Directions:

1. Beat eggs; mix in condensed milk, vanilla, milk and salt.
  2. Beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Fold into egg and milk mixture, sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve chilled.

Cocoa
Ingredients:
3 cups milk
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate, grated
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg

Directions:

1. Pour milk into a microwave-safe container and heat on High in microwave for 2 minutes. Mix in chocolate, sugar, and cinnamon. In a small bowl, whisk an egg until smooth, then mix it into the chocolate mixture.
  2. Return to microwave and cook on High for 3 to 4 minutes or until foamy (be careful not to let it boil.) Whisk until smooth and pour into 3 mugs. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon if desired.