Students Get Crafty at Hip Hobbies Club

Image by Quinn Phelan
The new Hip Hobbies Club teaches members to knit and make other crafts.

Amidst the rolls of different colored yarns, knitting needles glisten under the fluorescent lights of room B212 as the Hip Hobbies Club members make crafts.

“I started this club because my grandmother taught me to crochet this past spring,” senior Madeline Bos said. “Lauren [Boyles] helped me start it because she knows how to knit and wanted to have a set time to work on it. It’s pretty much just a super informal club for people who want to hang out and do stuff with their hands.”

Every Monday afternoon, they meet in English teacher Linda Hengst’s room. This is the club’s first year in existence. Bos and Boyles are the founders and co-presidents of the club.

“We basically learn to knit and crochet in different styles every meeting, and then when holidays come up like Halloween or Christmas, we try to do a special DIY (Do It Yourself) project,” Boyles said.

At the Hip Hobbies Club, students can learn to knit and crochet but those aren’t the only types of crafts that are made. The club centers some of its activities around holidays and they make things that relate to them.

“For Halloween we decorated cookies and made spooky headbands,” Bos said.

“Anything someone comes up with, they do,” Hengst said. “They make ornaments, always have snacks and plan things for holidays.”

The club is sponsored by Hengst, although she isn’t necessarily a big crafter herself.

“My friend, Ms. Haug, laughed when she heard I was sponsoring the Hip Hobbies Club because I’m the least crafty person ever,” Hengst said. “That is the definition of irony right there.”

The Hip Hobbies club is unique because clubs like Mu Alpha Theta and French Club have been around for a while but there haven’t really been many craft clubs.

“There are so many clubs based on academics and other talents, we thought this would be a good addition,” Boyles said.

“I think most of the people who come, value knitting, despite the old lady image, because they feel that it’s a disappearing art.” Bos said.

Any students who are a fan of knitting, crocheting, working with yarn, or making crafts, are invited to check out the Hip Hobbies Club.

“I really love the friendly atmosphere that comes from the meetings; everyone’s a beginner so we’re all in the same place so it’s easier for people to talk and get to know one another,” Boyles said.