Engineering Projects Spark Skills

Engineering+projects+allow+students+to+practice+skills+they+would+need+for+an+engineering+career.+
Image by Aleah Goldberg
Engineering projects allow students to practice skills they would need for an engineering career.

Many students walk down the halls with wooden cube puzzles or robots in their hands. Along with the obvious hard work the building of these projects require, engineering students must apply math and science skills for the technological parts of their inventions.

“Engineering is more than just building things,” freshman Rebecca Chen said. “It’s about problem solving.”

Students practice problem solving while making a project for their engineering class. However, there are different classes related to the large category of engineering. These classes include Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Digital Electronics, and even a class based on the digital future. CIM is one of these specified engineering classes. Students in CIM work to create factory parts such as freight elevators and widgets for manufacturing lines.

“I’m in CIM because I want to be an engineer in the future,” junior Jenna Brannon said. “I’ve taken other engineering classes, and they have all taught me about all of the different fields of engineering.”

In all of these classes, different projects are created. From manufacturing lines to marble sorters, engineering students practice important skills while making their projects.

“In Introduction to Engineering, we have been working hard,” Chen said. “We have been building our wooden cube puzzle for a while now, but I know it will be cool in the end.”

Engineering inventions aren’t projects that can be finished in a few days. Most of the large projects completed by engineering students take three weeks to complete. Also unlike projects in other classes, these projects require a lot of planning.

“We start with a sketch in our notebook and then build the program,” Brannon said. “These projects really help us develop our engineering skills.”