Venture Crews Offer Alternative to Scouting

• Member of venture crew 4, Gareth Deakes gets ready to perform a dance well known as chicken.

The idea of joining an outside activity such as an Explorer post, Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts is seen as a time commitment. It is a lot of time and dedication, but joining in the long run is rewarding.

For students involved in Venture Crew 165, the experience of it all is highly rewarding. Venture Crew 165 participates in backpacking, lock-ins, shooting sports, tubing and community service.

“I joined Venture Crew because I love camping and backpacking,” senior Alec Eickbusch said.  “My favorite part about the crew is the lasting friendships I’ve made.”

Other venture crews, such as Crew 4, focus more on the Native American culture. Students involved in this adventure crew learn and perform different styles of Native American dancing such as chicken and straight dancing.

Another crew in which students are involved in is Crew 146. This crew goes hunting, climbing, shooting and any other activities the crew plans together.

“I think getting involved in a venture crew is important because you meet new people you can hang out with,” sophomore Jonathan Jeffery said.

To join a venture crew, the age limit is 14 – 21 years. Since venture crews are not a part of the Boy Scouts of America, females can also participate.

For more information about Crew 4, contact Gareth Deakes at [email protected] or leader Mr. Brown at [email protected]

For more information regarding Crew 165, contact Alec Eickbusch at [email protected]

For information regarding Crew 146 contact Becca Stetson at [email protected]