Allergy Season Keeps Students Bogged Down

Image by Trent Chambers
Allergies affect Austinites of all ages.

One disadvantage of life in the Lone Star state is that the oft-fluctuating weather results in raging allergies for many Austinites. Around this time of year, allergy veterans are usually rekindling their relationship with Kleenex boxes and Claritin pills.

The wave of allergies seems to have hit the area in a particularly strong attack this year, and people are feeling its effects. Allergy rates have been repeatedly mentioned on the news, and complaints among residents have risen. Although allergies might not sound as serious as strep throat or flu, symptoms can still be aggravating to deal with and can become severe, requiring special treatments.

“My allergies are terrible,” junior Chad Gibby said. “I have to take Singulair, Nasonex and Zyrtec just to deal with them. It’s expensive and a pain.”

Allergies are an exaggerated response of a person’s immune system to foreign bodies called allergens. Seasonal allergens include mold, dust mites and plant pollens, and different people have varying levels of sensitivity to each. These allergens are typically harmless to the body, but the immune system arms itself against the foreign “enemy” nonetheless, and develops protein molecules called immunoglobulins to fight against them. The reaction between allergens and immunoglobulins release chemicals that lead to inflammation and general discomfort.

Typical symptoms of seasonal allergies include itchy, watery eyes, itchy or sore throat, sneezing, congestion, and a runny or stuffed up nose. Asthmatics may experience sudden and severe asthma attacks, wheezing, and coughing. More severe symptoms include hives, fatigue, headaches, lethargy, and difficulty sleeping. As if the frustration of these symptoms were not enough, complications from congestion, nasal dripping, and coughing can lead to a variety of other conditions such as a sinus infection or even bronchitis.

Many people are in similar situations as Gibby and have to take several types of medication to function with allergies. Some people even experience symptoms that are so resilient and frequent that they are beyond the help of nasal sprays and antihistamine pills.

“I had precancerous growths called polyps in my nose that formed from allergies,” freshman Luke Villanueva said. “I had to have surgery to get them removed.”

Surgery to remove such nasal blockage is an option for many people who suffer from severe symptoms. Another option is allergy immunotherapy, the use of shots filled with tiny amounts of allergens to gradually desensitize the body to them. These may not sound very pleasant, but in the long run, may be more effective.

As for the majority who only have to view allergies as a nuisance, there are many simple remedies to help lessen symptoms. Closing windows and turning on the AC/heat help filter outdoor allergens and keep them out of the house. Drinking plenty of fluids helps to flush out the system, clearing allergen particles from the throat and nose. Taking a shower at night washes stray allergens off of the skin and out of the hair to help ensure a more peaceful night of sleep.

“Allergies get painful,” Gibby said. “I can’t wait for allergy season to be over so I can get back to my normal self.”