A Better Life at the Desk

Emily+Maire+%2811%29+and+Ashley+Adams+%2810%29+are+snacking+on+a+homemade+trail+mix+consisting+of+dried+fruit%2C+nuts%2C+seeds+and+chocolate.+
Image by Nicole Meeks
Emily Maire (11) and Ashley Adams (10) are snacking on a homemade trail mix consisting of dried fruit, nuts, seeds and chocolate.

About 2,600 students are receiving an education and more than 250 professionals are teaching or are participating in managing a successful learning environment. Most of the students are at school from 9:05 a.m. to 4:05 p.m. That’s a minimum of seven hours of attending school. However, some students (and the teachers) can be at school for a much longer period of time.During that time period many students are sitting down and can experience hunger, boredom, a lack of wanting to participate in listening or following directions and/or have the urge to just be active whether they are talking or moving.

Students can forget about the need to take care of themselves and the importance of being able to interact or learn at school. Some things that can be forgotten about or not given the chance to is not drinking enough or any water at all, not eating properly, having bad back posture and/or experiencing boredom.

Here are simple ways to improve students’ health and ability to be interactive.

Bring a water bottle to school. This is a simple way to provide the body with more water. Water helps to remove waste throughout and keeps the body hydrated. It also suppresses the appetite and encourages metabolism which overall can help lose weight and/or increases vitality.

“Increasing water intake gets more oxygen to the muscles so that they can expend energy. More blood being pumped from the heart gets more oxygen to the cells, tissues and organs in the body increasing their ability to metabolize the nutrients required for proper function.” (livestrong.com)

If the taste of water is a turn-off, try adding flavor. Some ways to make water more flavorful is by adding a tea bag (make some tea), lemon juice, cucumber, fresh fruit or adding some herbs like mint or peppermint. The body needs water but don’t go dosing it up with things that are going to negate the purpose of being healthy.

Bring fruits, vegetables and other plants as a source of energy and stability for going throughout the day. These snacks provide essential vitamins and minerals like calcium, vitamins B, C, D, iron, beta-carotene, fiber, protein, enzymes, and other substances vital for survival. It’s an easy way to increase the amount of fresh fruit and vegetables (other plants and water) in the diet. Being that it may contain fiber it can, just like water, suppress hunger and keep students feeling fuller for a longer period of time.

Eating more fruits and vegetables will increase energy, detoxify the body, decrease the “bad” weight, create clearer skin, decrease the risk of contracting life-threatening diseases, improve the memory and changes in behavior.

Instead of bringing a bag of chips, sweets or other processed and non-nourishing foods, aim for fresh, local, organic, unprocessed raw foods for a well-nourished diet and lifestyle.

Examples of easily portable snacks include an apple, jicama, okra, carrots, dates (fruit), grapes, peaches, berries, a mixed green salad (with nutrient-dense leafy greens such as kale, chard, spinach, collards), raw nuts/seeds, broccoli and/or seaweed.

Improve posture. Being in a chair all day or having bad posture when standing can cause back pain and back problems. To have good posture is when the spine and back are straight and the shoulders rolled back.

Back posture is affected by the way one stands, walks, performs daily tasks, exercising, and/or sits. Having poor posture habits at an early age can result in later long-term back problems. More information on good posture and how to sit properly can be found at: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/healthy_living/back_health/hic_posture_for_a_healthy_back.aspx

Breathe deeper and more. It can relieve stress, pain, improve posture and boost energy levels.  “The general principles of correct breathing are to make it deeper, slower, quieter, and more regular. Doing so helps force more oxygen into cells, which slows heart rate, lowers blood pressure, and improves circulation, ultimately providing more energy.” (realsimple.com)

The heart, lungs, and blood vessels work more efficiently, delivering more oxygen to the body’s tissues and the brain. Parts of the brain that deal with complex problems begin to function better. (attitudemag.com)

For more information on breathing:
http://www.breathing.com/articles/benefits.htm
http://www.onepowerfulword.com/2010/10/18-benefits-of-deep-breathing-and-how.html

Do little exercises throughout the day whenever possible. This not only allows the body to stay stimulated and active but also relieve stress and anxiety. Here are some examples of what to do: http://www.livestrong.com/article/416949-exercises-students-can-do-at-school-during-class-for-losing-weight/

Take the long or a new route to class. This will enable students to see new people, get some more exercise in and refresh their mind. Try something new.

Get some fresh air. A great way to get some sunshine (vitamin D), relieve stress and tension, and to take a chance to take a step back and to naturally regain focus. “Just a few minutes outdoors can help you to regain your focus that you were looking for, and you can concentrate better on your work.” (onlyhealth.wordpress.com

View Comments (1)
$95
$1000