Young Life: Leading the Way for Students to Have Fun, Talk Religion

Image by Mallory Davidson
Makayla Guillory and Cheyenne Ayers enjoy dressing up for the Sports Themed night at Young Life.

Young Life is one of the few clubs that meets off school grounds. Across McNeil Drive at CrossPointe Church every Monday night at 7:59, approximately 150 students and leaders gather together.

“It’s a fun experience, you get to meet a lot of college students and learn about God,” freshman Josie Johnson said.

When you first walk into club, which is what meetings are called, there will be a ‘pump up’ song playing which will correspond with the nightly theme; for example, there has been a Christmas theme and a country theme.

Next there will be a game, usually a competition between grade levels. Some games that have been played in the past have been mattress surfing and rock-paper-scissors mash-up. This is the main event of the night and requires the most amount of strenuous activity.

“We got a couple guys in a circle and threw around an octopus, kind of like hot potato but with an octopus,” senior Kyle Sellars said.

Following the game, there is a raffle for a prize shirt or candy. The winner is also allowed to do something to Rita the Raffle Cow. She is actually a leader in a cow costume. You can either playfully strike or love the cow which portrays what type of person you are.

Now there is another pump up song usually sung by one of the leaders, Haley Hanson, Kylie Brommell, or Andy Baxter. On special occasions there will be a skit after this song.

“The skits they do are hilarious,” Sellars said.

Coming close to the conclusion of the meeting, there is another song and then an opening prayer for the message. For the message, one of the college leaders goes over last week’s service and talks about what the night has been about. After this, there is a closing prayer and the attendees are dismissed.

The leaders stay and work to revert the room back to the way they found it. Then there is circle time occurring around 10:30 p.m. when the leaders talk about things they are thankful for.

“My favorite part of Young Life is prayer circle,” Brommell said. “I get to step back and think about what is really appreciated. It’s a more intimate time with the leaders and 18 college leaders.”

Members will host a talent show soon to raise money for Young Life’s summer camp.