Truth About College Myths As Experienced By Former Mavericks

Scared for college, feeling stressed about how to pay for tuition, making friends and adjusting to the new atmosphere? Somethings you don’t need to worry about while transitioning into the new chapter in your life called college are the myths that all freshman fear when moving onto college
Myth #1: All Freshmen gain 15 pounds.
“False. I’ve actually lost weight due to the wide variety of food available and ability for me to make healthier eating choices than at home,” 2012 graduate Mason Daumas said. “Also, the gym is a two minute walk from my dorm.”
Myth #2: A ’B’ grade isn’t a good enough grade.
“False. A ’B’ grade in a college course is an acceptable grade. It won’t kill your GPA, and you can stay on the Dean’s list,” 2010 graduate Jennifer Browning said.
Myth #3: Everyone in college parties.
“Half True. It’s surprising how much partying there is; but it’s also surprising how many don’t,”
2012 graduate Alex Carr said.
Myth #4: Your GPA is everything.
“True. Your GPA is EXTREMELY important; it shows a student’s work ethic,” 2010 graduate
David Eickbusch said. “It can also help you get scholarships and respect.”
Myth #5: The more extracurricular activities you do, the better.

“No it’s not. The more you spread yourself out with extracurricular activities the worse your grades get,” 2011 graduate Dylon Conner said. “It would be best to have one or two extracurriculars but not a lot.”
Myth #6: If you go random roommate you’ll get stuck with a crazy person.
“There’s a chance it can happen, but it doesn’t always happen. It actually happened to me and a few people I know,” 2012 graduate Paulina Carewicz said. “But then when I switched to another roommate and she was awesome. We got along great.”
The next time you start freaking out about the rumors and myths of college and try to avoid it, remember that the myth isn’t always true; and if it is, there is always a way to get through it.