Other Holiday Light Displays Entice Revelers

Rock-N-Lights in Round Rock, Texas

This year marks the return of the Trail of Lights in Zilker Park, and many Austinites and suburban dwellers alike will be heading downtown for some holiday fun. However, there are other options in Central Texas to see spectacular light decorations during the winter break.

For anyone willing to take a short road trip with family or friends, Belton Lake Outdoor Recreation Area hosts its Nature in Lights event until Jan. 6. An hour drive away, the event only costs $5/car and is almost six miles of decorations along a road. Unlike the Trail of Lights, visitors can drive slowly through the decorations and avoid the cold temperatures. They are open every night from 5:30 – 11 p.m.

A new presentation in Round Rock called Rock-N-Lights will be hosted by Old Settlers Park. Visitors can drive through the mile and a half decorations for $15/car. There is also a holiday village set up in the Dell Diamond parking lot. They are open from 6 – 9 p.m. on weeknights and Sundays from 6 – 10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. It will be open through Dec. 31.

Just a 45-minute drive away, Marble Falls hosts the Walkway of Lights featuring displays with more than two million lights. The self-guided tour is free of charge and is open until Jan. 1 from
6 – 10 p.m. nightly.

Lastly, Austin’s hidden gem of Christmas decorations is on 37th Street and Guadalupe. The local neighborhood puts up thousands of lights and covers everything in sight. This free walking tour is hugely popular and is a fun alternative to the Trail of Lights in Austin.