Decline of the Movie Industry

Rough estimates say around 500 to 600 movies are produced in the U.S. each year. The amount of content released each month is staggering, on top of that.

Titles such as “DREDD 3D” and “End of Watch” are being viewed in movie theaters around the country, and only a few years ago the record-breaking “Avatar” was made. Even so, some critics claim that the movie industry is declining in regards to content. I disagree with this for a few reasons.

These critics often use “Titanic” and “The Godfather” as examples of movies that used to be produced, and how ground-breaking they were. While I agree that these movies remain some of the best in our history, you can not use them to “describe” or “represent” an entire era.

I could point out countless titles created in and around the same year proving that generally they were pieces of junk and no one really enjoyed them. The same stands for our generation: Not every movie produced nowadays can be compared to “Avatar”, and hopefully everyone would agree with that. If you disagree, go and browse Netflix for an hour or two. I guarantee that you will find some scary stuff.

In addition to what has previously been stated, people have different tastes. Whether or not general taste is declining in regards to flavor and content is a different article, but I have several friends who would watch your average modern-day shooter flick over “The Godfather” anyday. I guess it’s really up to the critic and what they’re into.

Finally, when it’s a Saturday afternoon and you’re reading movie reviews to decide what to go out and see later, don’t let any comment such as, “this doesn’t even compare to ‘Rambo’!” give you second thoughts. Not everything produced in Hollywood is going to sell millions of tickets and become box-office sellers, like the numerous titles that are so often referred to and known in our current society.