Life Scouts Encourage Students to be Active

I watched an interesting video on the Internet recently of a British guy named Alex Day who started something that he calls “Life Scouts,” which is basically a mission to encourage people to do more exciting and interesting things with their lives.

He offers badges to people who complete tasks like mountain climbing, sky diving and learning to play an instrument. I think this idea is really inspiring because nowadays people are getting lazier when it comes to going out and doing things. Not enough people are getting out of their comfort zone to try new things, which I think they will regret once they are too old to do some of the fun things they could be doing now.

Even though I’m a senior and won’t be coming back to McNeil next year, I think it would be cool if someone started a club here similar to Day’s Life Scouts. I just really like the idea of people being active and doing things that they will remember for the rest of their lives, rather than just sitting around at home or doing the same mundane things from day to day. People will appreciate having those stories to tell later in their adulthood. I know I would much rather hear about the time someone bungee jumped off a bridge than the time that they played Call of Duty at home and lost Internet connection.

Back when we didn’t have so much technology to keep us occupied, people had to get creative to keep themselves entertained. If more people became a part of something like Life Scouts, society would be taking a step in the right direction and there might be a happier general population.