Schools for Future Filmmakers

High school is the time in many students’ education when they must decide on colleges to apply to. It can be super difficult and stressful to find a school right for one person. For people specifically interested in film, Texas has many options.

Baylor University is located in Waco. It is a private Christian university and is in the top 100 universities in the nation. They are in the top 40% of best film schools in the nation as well. A requirement for admittance is to have a 3.72 GPA as it is a more prestigious school. Their goal is to create a group of innovative leaders educated in a broad field of film and filmmaking knowledge

Texas State University is a public university in San Marcos, it’s ranked the 280th school in the nation. The program focuses on teaching creative producing, directing, screenwriting, cinematography, production design and sound and post-production. At least a 3.34 GPA or higher is eligible for admission to the school.

The University of Houston also offers a film program. This program is more focused on the history and analysis of the film itself. The courses consist of an intro to communications theory, history of cinema, the media effects and the social impact of new information technology. At least a 3.0 GPA is required at the University of Houston.