Trail of Lights

Twelfth in the Christmas Advent Calendar series.
Trail of Lights
Image by Kaia-Lise Pacheco

A local highlight of Austin’s winter season is just around the corner. The Trail of Lights is opening up on Dec. 8 and will continue until the 23. This will be the 59th annual opening of the Trail of Lights. Although the grand opening for the public is Dec. 8, the lights have already been shining nice and bright for private organizations to see.

The Trail of Lights is a fun outdoor experience full of vibrance to make the winter season feel colorful and warm. The Trail of Lights includes a trail through Zilker Park in downtown Austin. The trail is accompanied by hundreds of colorful lights that match different themes to different segments of the trail. There are stops along the way that consist of fun activities for families to engage in and get into the feel of holiday spirit. Places like Santa’s Workshop and Candy Land are just a couple of the places you can stop by on the way through the trail. The HEB-sponsored event allows children and families to take photos with Santa Claus, there’s an opportunity for children to see how toys are made and grab one of the children’s books that kind workers hand out. Towards the end of the trail, visitors get the chance to get on some fun rides such as a carousel and Ferris wheel that gives a great view of the city. Between the lights of the trail and the city lights, the night is brilliantly lit up which makes for a pretty adventure in the heart of Texas.

The Trail of Lights general admission is $8, though the event offers free admission days. The grand opening this year will be free to the public. Free admission will continue on the following days, Dec. 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 19.

To see yesterday’s Christmas Advent Calendar post about Christmas books, use this link.