Spring Album Recommendations

A graphic collecting the albums listed in the article.

With the start of Spring, the sensations of the joyous season reemerge, like the sight of blooming flowers, the taste of freshly picked fruits, the warmth from the radiant sun and the gorgeous sound of these spring album recommendations.

1989 Taylor Swift

1989, was first released Oct. 27, 2014, It is a pop and synth-pop album. Included are 13 tracks with a total duration of 48:41.

The album’s title is a reference to the year Swift was born. It signifies a rebrand in her career as she transitioned styles from country to pop with this album. It is also a remembrance to her previous albums and a reveal regarding the new directions that she would take for her following albums. Her lyrics show themes of love, relationships, and new beginnings as the album follows through her past relationships and her life in New York. Some notable tracks include Style, Blank Space and Wildest Dreams.

Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We? The Cranberries

Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We? First released Mar. 1, 1993, it is a rock, alternative rock and indie pop album. Included are 12 tracks with a total duration of 40:54.

The album’s lyrics express the impact of relationships, specifically the yearning of young love and the feelings of joy and regret it can cause. What makes this album stand out is its timeless display of emotion throughout the lyrics, emphasized by Dolores O’Riordan’s heartfelt vocals. Many of the songs can be described as mellow and passionate, with some notable tracks including Linger, Dreams and Sunday.

Only By the Night – Kings of Leon 

Only By The Night, first released Sep. 19, 2008, is a rock, alternative rock and indie rock album. Included are 11 tracks with a total duration of 42:55. 

The album’s lyrics involve political references and loosely tells a story based on relationships and longing feelings. What makes this album stand out is its impactful vocals and memorable rhythms. Many of the songs can be described as immersive and liberating. Some notable tracks include Use Somebody and Closer. 

Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me – The Cure

Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me was first released May 26, 1987. It is a new wave, alternative and gothic rock album. Included are 17 tracks with a total duration of 72:13

This album tells many narratives throughout the album, most revolving around relationships and love. The instrumentals including the keyboard and saxophone give the album an uplifting feeling. Many of the songs feature lyrics developing complicated feelings accompanied by positive melodies. Some notable songs include Just Like Heaven, Catch and Hot Hot Hot!!!.

The Record – Boygenius

The Record was first released Mar. 31, 2023, it is an alternative, and indie rock album. Included are 12 racks with a total duration of 42:13.

The Record is the second album Boygenius, a girl group consisting of Lucy Dacus, Julien Baker, and Phoebe Bridgers, has made together. This album explores themes of love for new and past relationships and a platonic love in their own friendship with each other.  The album’s lyrics and shifts between rock and folky sounds capture the emotions in their friendship. Some notable tracks are True Blue, Not Strong Enough and Cool About It.

Visions – Grimes

Visions, first released Jan. 31, 2012, is a synth-pop, dream pop and experimental music album. Included are 13 tracks with a total duration of 48:04.

Visions lyrical meaning varies depending on the song, most of the songs vaguely depict Grimes’ personal experiences and how they’ve affected her outlook on life, overall alluding to a journey of her overcoming a negative mental state. What makes this album stand out is Grimes’ unique use of sound and overall captivating style. The album was recorded and produced on GarageBand in three weeks, Grimes’ high commitment during the process led to her not eating or sleeping for nine consecutive days. Many of the songs can be described as otherworldly and mysterious. Some notable tracks include Oblivion, Genesis and Symphonia IX (My Wait Is U).

Brand New Eyes – Paramore

Brand New Eyes, first released Sept. 29, 2009, is an alternative rock, pop-punk and emo pop album. Included are 11 tracks with a total duration of 40:18. 

In Brand New Eyes, the lyrics express lead singer Hayley William’s heavy emotions on growing up, including revaluation of her relationships, religious beliefs and overall life. What makes this album stand out is the band’s use of the album as a new direction, using the name “Brand New Eyes” as symbolism for the band’s direction regarding working with each other moving forward. The album’s music itself stands out due to William’s intense feelings shared through her vocals and lyrics. Many of the songs can be described as angsty and fierce. Some notable tracks include All I Wanted and The Only Exception

Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd – Lana Del Rey

Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd was first released Mar. 24, 2023. It is an alternative, pop, and americana album. Included are 16 tracks with a total duration of 77:43.

This album references the “Jergins Tunnel” in Long Beach California. The album focuses on family and relationships and the triumphs and problems related to them. The somber lyrics and melodies throughout the songs and interludes give a reflective feeling. Throughout the tracks pieces from her past works are included which give the album a familiar, reimagined feel. Some notable songs are Let The Light In, The Grants and Peppers.

Rumours – Fleetwood Mac

Rumours, first released Feb. 4, 1977, is a rock, pop and soft rock album. Included are 11 tracks with a total duration of 38:55.

Rumours lyrics express the brutal honesty of the bandmate’s relationship issues, during the production of the album the majority of the bandmates were going through breakups and their own various turmoils that’s reflected in their songs. What makes this album stand out is the honesty of the “rumors” they’re singing about, all based on true narratives highlighted through lead singer Stevie Nicks revolutionary vocals and folk melodies making it an instant classic. Following the release of the album was immense popularity, going on to win the 1978 Best Album Grammy Award. The success of the album was all but temporary, reaching the ninth best selling album of all time and joining the Grammy hall of fame. Some notable tracks include Dreams, The Chain and Go Your Own Away.

Stick Season –  Noah Kahan

Stick Season was first released  Oct. 14, 2022. It is an alternative, indie and folk album. Included are 14 tracks with a total duration of 55:21.

Stick Season references the time between the fall and winter when all the leaves have fallen off the trees and snow has not fallen yet. The album expresses this image with somber lyrics and crisp vocals and instrumentals. The album has a nostalgic feeling as well as it recalls narratives about his old hometown and past relationships. Some notable songs include Stick Season, Homesick and View Between Villages.