Mathletes Calculate on at Annual Relay

At last years Math Relay, student compete in teams of different math levels for a chance to win free ice cream. Its always fun to see kids show up and participate. This event gives kids a new outlook on math and something more than just equations in a textbook, Brian Youn said. Sign up by March first and compete at this years annual math relay.
Image by Ashley Nguyen
At last years Math Relay, student compete in teams of different math levels for a chance to win free ice cream. “It’s always fun to see kids show up and participate. This event gives kids a new outlook on math and something more than just equations in a textbook,” Brian Youn said. Sign up by March first and compete at this year’s annual math relay.

For students who like math or need extra credit in a math class, then plan on staying after school March 6. Mu Alpha Theta will host the annual school-wide Math Relay.

“There are about 500 kids who come each year and participate in the relay,” Brian Youn, AP Statistics teacher and sponsor, said. “You can learn new things, work in a team and get some laughs.”

Interested students sign up with their math instructor and pay 50 cents to be part of the game. The relay is a chance for students who like math or want to gain extra credit (depending on their math teacher) to have a fun competition and interact with other people.

To be eligible to participate, students need to sign up before Friday, March 1. The relay will start right after school March 6 in the cafeteria. Appropriate behavior is expected and all school rules must be followed. The entire event will last until 5 p.m. and late busses will be provided. Participation is encouraged and drinks will be made available.

The relay works like this: students are split into teams of 10-15 students, all with different math abilities. Each student will be either a level one (Algebra 1) level two (Geometry) or level three (Algebra 2). At the table will be a set of equations and each level student will have their separate questions. The first level will start the game by solving their math equation and will pass on their answer to the next level. The answer from the previous level will then be used in the next round and each level will build off the one before. At the end, the team with the most correct answers wins the game and will be rewarded with a ribbon and coupon for free ice cream.

“We [the sponsors and Mu Alpha Theta] worked hard for this event and would like to see students in all different grade levels to participate,” Youn said. “It’s fun and encouraging. We hope to see you.”