Filed under News

HOSA Successes

21 students advance to Area in health science contests

The first phase of the HOSA competition was held on Nov. 29 to Dec.1 with 21 students advancing to Area.

“I’m super proud of all the testers for their efforts,” HOSA sponsor Naomi Hart-Sobkowiak said. “It’s exciting to see so many advance.”

Students in HOSA, or Health Occupation Students of America, are encouraged to participate in competitions where they can compete in the national competition and may gain scholarships.  

“This was my first time competing, so placing feels quite a huge step towards achieving my goals,” junior Yoori Yoon said. “I am aiming to be an OB/GYN or neonatal doctor and I feel like HOSA would be a good opportunity in which I could test my skills I learned in my health science classes.”

Yoon competed in the CPR/First Aid competition.

“I used online resources and material from my Medical Terminology class to prepare,” junior Celine Nguyen said. “They helped a lot.”

Nguyen joined HOSA to help her achieve her goal of becoming a cardiologist.

“I prepared for Medical Math by using the information provided on the event guideline,” senior Jaden Fang said.

Last year, Fang was the only person from Texas to place in Medical Math internationally. He placed ninth in the first round this year.

“I thought that my international experience would propel me through online testing, but that goes to show the strength of our school and Texas Area 1 as a whole,” Fang said.

Advisers helped the students by providing books and study guides. Students also prepared by studying beforehand for the online tests.

“I was at first drawn to HOSA simply because it has to do with health, ” senior Anne Cao said. “I was confused about which clubs to join as a freshman and believing it to be something that would be great to help me for a future in healthcare, I’ve stuck with it.”

The next round will be held in Georgetown on March 2-3.

“It is nice to see that HOSA can be for all students interested in healthcare,” Hart Sobkowiak said.

About the Writer
Tiffany Sawruk, Reporter
Hi, I am a senior and this is my third year writing for the Trailblazer. I am also on the varsity tennis team and volunteer outside of school. I am very excited to be on staff this year and I hope y’all enjoy our stories.