Filed under News

A First Look Into High School

Informing students and parents about the avalible clbs, organizations and athletic programs.

Academy Night for incoming freshmen and AP Night for all grades was held Jan. 30. in the main mall and cafeteria to inform parents and students about academic, athletic, club and organization opportunities.

“I’m very excited about all the academies, but I’m a bit overwhelmed by all of the tall people that I’ve seen tonight,” Cedar Valley eighth-grader Mackenzie Gordon said.

More than 40 clubs and organizations – choir, debate, publications and French National Honor Society signed up to spread the word about what they have to offer and requirements to join. “We find that introducing these options to students early, helps them get involved and understand the school more,” FNHS representative junior Kisten Inness said.                                                 

Current students said that getting involved early helped them adapt to high school. In addition, involvement helps with college applications later on.

“I’m most excited about playing sports, but more specifically football,” Deerpark eighth grader Trent Fisk said. “It’s all very overwhelming, but also exciting to start something new.”