Girl Code

Uzma Pathan

More stories from Uzma Pathan

The Clot Thickens
December 6, 2018
Mavs of McNeil
November 15, 2018
Halloween At The Farm
October 23, 2018

Joint STEM camp hosted by Sandbox Systems, Girl-Up

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girl Code

To engage girls in more STEM activities, Girl-Up and Sandbox Systems hosted a coding camp at Round Rock High School Nov. 3.

“It’s important for high schoolers to learn how to broaden their knowledge and develop new skills,” Sandbox Marketing Coordinator and Girl-Up VP of Marketing Riya Chaudhry said. “This camp provided that opportunity by teaching one of the most essential skills in modern day society: coding.”

I get to program the actual products. I enjoy it a lot because I love making things that don’t exist.”

— Aadhithya Kannan

Sandbox Systems LLC is a new technology startup founded by students from Round Rock and McNeil high schools. The McNeil students involved in Sandbox include seniors Aadhithya Kannan, co-CEO of the company, and Chaudhry, marketing coordinator.

“As co-CEO, I’m in charge of managing the development side of things, whereas my other co-CEO handles the business and finance side,” Kannan said. “I get to program the actual products. I enjoy it a lot because I love making things that don’t exist.”

The other host of the camp was Girl-Up – a campus club that is a branch of the United Nations foundation Girl-Up. This organization is dedicated to women empowerment and defending gender equality.

“Being co-president of McNeil Girl-Up allows me to initiate change and give back to the community in the most direct way possible,” senior Anushka Noubad said. “This organization gives me a better perspective on different societies of different nations and how women play a role there.”

Students who attended the coding camp learned the basics of HTML coding and created their own websites. At the end of the activities, students were given certificates of completion. McNeil students who attended include Sumayyah Hussain, Amber Hoskins, Nikita Chaudhry, Noubad, Chaudhry and Sampada Gokhale.

About the Writer
Uzma Pathan, News Editor

Hello! My name is Uzma Pathan and this is my third year working for the Trailblazer. This year I will be serving as a reporter and News Editor. My last...