The “No Homework” Policy is Not Real: An Editorial

Photo courtesy of UC San Diego.
Photo courtesy of UC San Diego.

This year, the school has implemented a new policy called the “No Homework Weekend.” This means that every long weekend, students should not be assigned homework from their classes that will be due the day they come back.

The policy was implemented in an effort to aid the amount of homework students receive. According to a survey taken last school year, students claimed that the workload they receive from classes is way too much. This makes it stressful for students to keep up with assignments, so the school believed that this policy would help resolve the issue.

However, regardless of this being the case, the policy is not being utilized and many students are still being assigned homework over long weekends. Many teachers for classes such as OnRamps and AP do not follow this policy because they claim that it does not apply to college-level classes. In reality, the policy applies to every class whether it be college-level or not. Teachers have been getting in trouble for not following it.

A benefit that students would gain if teachers followed the policy would be that it would allow them to relax, spend time with family and friends and go over topics they learned in classes. Above all, one major benefit they would gain is getting more sleep.

Sleep is the number one priority for a student to stay motivated and do well in school, so they will be able to catch up on sleep they missed throughout the week. It will also help them think clearly and improve their physical and mental health.

In conclusion, although the “No Homework” policy is not being followed properly, it should be followed in order to make students’ lives easy-going, balanced and most importantly, less stressful.