Final Exam Days Should Become Half Days: An Editorial

Photo courtesy of Demarest HSA.

Final exam days are often a source of stress for students and could benefit from a simple change: making them half days. Embracing shorter exam periods would not only ease the burden on students but also promote a healthier approach to assessment.

Noting that long hours of back-to-back exams can overwhelm students, affecting their performance and well-being, shifting to a half-day schedule would allow them to focus on a limited number of exams each day, giving them the chance to perform at their best.

Moreover, shorter exam days can open up opportunities for meaningful reflection and revision because currently, students are left with little time between exams to review their material or seek clarification on concepts they find challenging. It would allow for a more balanced distribution of study time and enhance the overall quality of preparation.

However, this adjustment isn’t just about reducing stress; it’s a practical step towards creating a more realistic testing environment. In the real world, people face successive high-pressure tasks without taking a breather at times.

Not only would shorter exam days benefit students, but it would also benefit teachers as well by allowing time for them to conduct thoughtful grading and constructive feedback. They would also be able to devote greater attention to each student’s performance which will help promote learning and improvement.
The school may argue that extending the exam period would disrupt the academic calendar, but the potential benefits in student well-being and academic performance outweigh these concerns. Schools should prioritize the mental health and success of their students by recognizing that a more balanced approach to final exams can contribute to a more positive and effective learning environment.

In conclusion, by embracing half days during final exam week and giving students more time to focus on fewer subjects each day, we can create an environment that supports both mental health and academic success. It’s a simple adjustment that could bring positive changes, making final exams a more manageable and productive experience for everyone involved.