Resolutions Are Not Worth It: An Editorial

Photo Courtesy of MD Anderson Cancer Center.

As we near the end of January, many of us have already abandoned our New Year’s resolutions, leaving us feeling guilty and disappointed in ourselves. The truth is, New Year’s resolutions aren’t completely worth the effort.

Here are the pros and cons of why this is:

Pros:
Setting resolutions can motivate us to improve ourselves and achieve our goals.
The start of a new year is a natural time to reflect on the past and plan for the future.
Making resolutions can help us develop healthier habits and break bad ones.

Cons:
Many resolutions are unrealistic or unsustainable, leading to disappointment and discouragement.
The pressure to make resolutions can be stressful, especially if we feel we have failed in the past.
The focus on self-improvement can be detrimental to our self-esteem and mental health.

Ultimately, whether New Year’s resolutions are worth it depends on our individual goals and circumstances. Instead of making out of a sense of obligation, we should focus on setting realistic and measurable goals that align with our values and bring us fulfillment. So, let’s not be too hard on ourselves if we haven’t kept our resolutions this year. Instead, let’s use this as an opportunity to reflect on what truly matters to us and set intentions that will bring us joy and growth throughout the year.