Kali Uchis Orquídeas Album Review

(via Kali Uchis/photo by Coughs)

Kali Uchis released her fourth studio and second full Spanish album in January, 2023. With 14 tracks, Uchis wanted to showcase and experiment with different genres of Latin music to the public like latin disco, house mariachi, bolero and more. Titled “Orquídeas,” which translates directly to “Orchids,” it is the national flower of Colombia and is a symbol of the album to represent Uchis’ Latin roots, love, strength, beauty, femininity and to celebrate her pregnancy. Uchis collaborated with other Latin artists in this album featuring Peso Pluma, El Alfa, JT, Karol G, and Rauw Alejandro. There are Parental Advisory warnings on four of the album’s songs, here are my ratings of the clean tracks. 

¿Cómo así? (7/10)

In this opening track, Uchis guides us through her intro with the sound of an electric guitar in the back with giggles and laughs fading in and out. The laughs give a very innocent and playful vibe that’s luring that audience into the music. It then shifts to an upbeat rhythm that the listener could easily dance to. It’s a very laid back song that eases the audience into the rest of the album.

Igual que un ángel (10/10)

In Igual que un ángel, Uchis sings about a girl who resembles an angel and is God’s favorite. Featuring Peso Pluma, the song is super heavenly and feels as if the listener is floating through space. The two artist’s voices compliment each other perfectly and mix super well with their contrasting tones. Personally, it is one of my favorite songs from the album. 

Pensamientos Intrusivos (8/10)

Uchis sings about the longings a person feels to be loved and the willingness one is willing to go for their lover. Although the person has been through many heartbreaks and hardships, they’re eager to feel love with their intrusive thoughts and are fully ready for commitment. The song explores the deeper meanings and attachments a person could feel while in love. 

Diosa (8/10)

Compared to the previous song, Diosa talks about being proud of her femininity and being confident and strong when looked down upon because she is a goddess with the universe supporting her. The speaker should be accepting of themselves when getting spoiled with love and gifts because they are deserving of them with their own self-value. 

Te Mata (7/10)

Almost like a whole story, this song talks about a woman who was left broken and hurt but then overcame her hardship. She becomes tougher, and calls out the person who hurt her for trying to get her back, claiming that when the woman is happier and healed, it “kills” the one who hurt her. Uchis sings with strong emotions all throughout the song with the intense instrumental to create a sort of potent and fierce mood. 

Perdiste (7/10)

In Perdiste, Uchis sings about the aftermath of a breakup by telling the ex to accept that the speaker won’t ever be coming back and to deal with the consequences. The song has a bit of a mellow mood yet sorrow. 

Tú corazón Es Mío (10/10)

Another one of my favorites, Uchis sings about the ups and downs of a relationship and the strong bonds a couple builds together living in the present and for the future. She sings the loyalty one has for their partner, giving their heart to them. Although calmer compared to the rest of the album, it’s softer and more sentimental.

Labios Mordidos (9/10)

A reggaeton track featuring Karol G, Uchis and G sing with confidence embracing their strength and asserting their dominance. This song is more upbeat and has a more playful and danceable vibe. 

Heladito (7/10)

This song is more laid back and has some reggaeton and r&b mixed together. It has a playful and romantic vibe with the speaker asking for attention and basking in the intimacy with their partner. 

Dame Beso // Muévete (10/10)

Definitely one of Uchis’ more upbeat and danceable songs on the album, it’s very tropical and fun with the speaker expressing their desire for more kisses and affection in a playful tone. The song speeds up at the midpoint of the song and the atmosphere of the music becomes more lively and happier, diminishing any negativity that could be present.