Mavericks Soar Among the Eagles

Earning the rank of Eagle Scout encompasses a long process with a multitude of requirements. However, many Mavericks throughout the years have put forth the effort to attain this prestigious honor.

“Becoming an Eagle Scout taught me many skills and helped me grow into a man,” senior Spencer Shelton said. “Being an Eagle Scout has helped me get jobs and is a great conversation starter.”

Before a scout can work on his Eagle project, he has to earn six ranks of the Boy Scouts of America: Boy Scout, Tenderfoot, 2nd Class, 1st Class, Star, and Life. A scout also must earn a minimum of 21 merit badges, which includes earning eight special “Eagle required” merit badges.

“Citizenship in the World was my favorite Eagle required badge because it gave me the chance to talk to George Bush, Sr. and other foreign ambassadors,” senior Conrad Carine said.

A prospective Eagle must work in a leadership position such as Patrol Leader or Quartermaster in his local BSA unit for six months. After fulfilling those requirements, he must plan what to do for his Eagle Project.

Some parameters to consider include doing a project that will benefit the community (such as building benches or setting up a clothes or food donation drive) and keeping within an affordable budget.

“My project was to build a bridge for a horse ranch that offers horseback riding to disabled children,” senior Diego Macias said. “The inspiration came from having worked on a previous project there.”

After deciding what the project will be, approval from the beneficiary, his scoutmaster, and the BSA District Chairman must be obtained. Once the project is approved, the scout may commence on it.

“I chose the 1940 U.S. Census indexing not just because of my interest in genealogy but I also wanted people to be able to find their relatives and friends at the click of a mouse,” senior Corbin Long said. “The 1940 census is a part of American history too, and it was great to to dig that out of the dust and bring it into the light.”

The next step is to make a list of needed supplies, schedule a workday that will work with the beneficiary, recruit and train volunteers, provide refreshments, and set a goal to obtain. Having someone take pictures of the project is highly recommended.

After the project is done, the scout submits the budget, how many hours it took to complete the project, his merit badge records, list of supplies used, the number of volunteers, and the result of the project.

“The paperwork that goes into a food drive was incredible,” Carine said. “There were certificates and certifications needed for everything including donations. After I was finished, it a stack of paper 3-inches tall representing my project.”

Long’s goal was to index 10,000 names from the 1940 U.S. Census, when the project was finished, the number of names indexed was 1,190.

“The hardest part of the Eagle Scout process for me was filling out all the massive heaps of paperwork,” Long said. “I really hate filling out paperwork, but it was worth it because paperwork is a huge part of earning your Eagle. No paperwork, no Eagle.”

After submitting the packet, the scout contacts the BSA District Chairman to schedule a board of review (prior to turning 18 years old) for approval and verification. The National BSA Committee also must give its approval. Then the scout can have his Court of Honor where he is awarded his Eagle Scout Badge.

“Becoming an Eagle Scout is more than an award; it is a change in moral character and personality,” Macias said. “The day I became an Eagle Scout is the day that my life as a whole turned into a more respectful and prosperous life to live.”