Good Eatin’ at Hyde Park Bar and Grill

Hyde Park Bar and Grill is one of the best places to find authentic Austin vittles. They were established in 1982 and have been feeding Austinites ever since.
Image by Hyde Park website

Hyde Park Bar & Grill is a wonderful place to have a birthday celebration, business meeting, or even a midnight snack. Looking back on the times I have been there, I can see no faults. The servers have always been ‘Chick-Fil-A’ polite.“Consistently voted ‘Best French Fries In Austin!’ A big platter of fresh hand-cut Idaho potatoes, dipped in creamy buttermilk, rolled in seasoned flour and lightly fried. Served with our special Hyde Park sauce.” The sauce gives the already wonderful fries a different component than your run-of-the-mill fries and ketchup.The chocolate cake was rich and left me feeling wonderful. I definitely recommend sharing a piece since the cake is quite filling. Hibiscus Mint Tea has always been my favorite drink, but Hyde Park’s version of the beverage astounded me. It had more flavor, avoiding the water-down method that many tea-servers opt with.It is interesting to look around and see the diversity that gathers at an authentic Austin restaurant. The population ranged from prestigious businessmen in three-piece-suits, teenage boys to an elderly lesbian couple examining the newspaper’s garage sales. In the end, everyone felt at ease with the personable wait staff, short wait for a table and the exquisite culinary provisions.

The prices are not ridiculous. Entrees range from $8.95 to $11.95. They also have a variety of salads, soups, burgers and sandwiches.

There is a location downtown on Duval St, this one is much smaller and seems to be less formal. The one farther south makes for a better date location or a formal business meeting, this is found on Westgate Blvd.