Eclectic Noms Come to Round Rock

• Newspaper staff members Jacob Dawson (12) and Quinn Phelan (12) converse about getting advertisements for the online newspaper at the Round Rock Food Trailer Court. They sampled chicken strips, cupcakes and other goodies.

Image by Nicole Meeks
  • Image by Nicole Meeks

Austin is known for being quirky, artsy and diverse. It’s also known for its food trucks. Food trucks, especially in Austin, have been trending lately and captivating most foodies by providing them with tasty and creative food. There are a wide variety of food trucks in Austin that serve desserts, sandwiches, raw-veganism, Caribbean, BBQ, Tex-Mex and Thai, just to name a few.

Round Rock has hopped on the food truck bandwagon and decided to open up the city’s first food truck trailer park. On Sept. 13, Round Rock City Council members provided their unanimous authorization to open the city’s and Williamson County’s first trailer food park which has a limit of 12 trucks. There is a one-year trial run at the downtown location to see if the park is successful; the council will reconvene around October 2013 to discuss how to best regulate Round Rock’s trailers.

October 1 was the official grand opening of the Round Rock Food Trailer Park with a total of 12 trucks serving at the Mays Street location. Vendors include: Hey Cupcake!, New Orleans Po Boy & Gumbo Shop, Dawn’s Thai Kitchen, Carnival Concessions, Meat Up Veg Out, Full House BBQ, Beef Cake Shop, Curly’s Perfect Pig Flavors of The Bayou, Natch Yo Taco, Jak Concessions, Sylvester’s Soft Serve, and Star and Co Coffeehouse.

With each food truck having its own unique flavor and style, patrons will find their way to 500 N. Mays Street in downtown Round Rock to discover new food to enjoy.