New 16-5A District Made Up of All RRISD Schools With Pflugerville, Hendrickson

Image by Sarah Fincher
Senior Sammy Snook serves the ball against Cedar Ridge on Sept. 25. The Lady Mavs defeated new opponent Cedar Ridge 3-1.

One major change this year has been the new UIL 16-AAAAA district realignment. From academics to athletics, this change affects all students involved in any kind of extracurricular activity at school. With the addition of Hendrickson and Cedar Ridge High Schools, McNeil’s athletic and academic teams will see new competition in the future.

“I am looking forward to facing Cedar Ridge because it would be nice to have bragging rights if we got the win,” senior baseball player Tim Hunter said.

The Lady Maverick volleyball team has already had its test with these new teams. The Lady Mavs first saw Hendrickson and were defeated 1-3. The second time the teams met, the Lady Mavs were once again on the losing end 0-3.

The girls team split the series with the Cedar Ridge Lady Raiders, winning their first opportunity 3-1 and losing the second 0-3.

Fine arts will also be affected by the new district change with its Solo and Ensemble competition, as well as Region Band, Choir and Orchestra auditions. The students will be facing off against different competition in order to make honors like the Region Band, and State Solo and Ensemble contest.