Student Government Changes How School is Run

One important change to how the school is run is the development of  Student Government. This program will help all classes get more involved in their school and make decisions that will not only affect their own class but also classes to come.“Our goal is to help the students, be there for them and let them know what’s going on,” junior Anam Khan said.One of the major events Student Government is in charge of is prom. A prom committee made up of interested juniors and seniors will plan the iconic event. Volunteers are welcome to join.Student Government is not actually considered a club but is made up of the elected class officers. All the elected officers meet during their class to discuss and plan events throughout the year. Student interested in helping with a particular committee can join.

“Student Council does not have the power to actually make changes,”  senior Ethan Van Gorkam said.  “They mostly focus on event planning and making things more interactive.  Student Government has the power to make changes to the school.”

The officers of each class were elected last year from the student body. The senior class president is Ethan Van Gorkam, and vice president is Joseph Vasquez. The junior class president is Pooshan Shah, and vice president is Anam Khan. Sophomore class president is Ron Jones and vice president is Edward Wang. The sponsor of Student Government is Vicki Renfro.

“We are in charge of the whole school by classes and work with clubs, students and teachers,” Shah said.

Another event Student Government organized is the Zone Committee, where each Zone class has its own representative. The Zone committee will be split between ninth and 10th graders and juniors and seniors. The Zone committee will have a two-way feed between the student body and the Student Government officers.