Fundraiser Gives Groups Financial Boost

Sapphire+Dancer+Megan+Whittaker+shows+off+the+limited+popcorn+bags+that+are+now+on+sale.+The+dancers+are+selling+many+varieties+of+popcorn+for+competitions+and+to+pay+for+the+costumes.+%E2%80%9CIt%E2%80%99s+been+really+fun+selling+popcorn%2C%E2%80%9D+Whittaker+said.+%E2%80%9CThey%E2%80%99re+good%2C+fresh+and+something+to+buy.%E2%80%9D+
Image by Amrin Madhani
Sapphire Dancer Megan Whittaker shows off the limited popcorn bags that are now on sale. The dancers are selling many varieties of popcorn for competitions and to pay for the costumes. “It’s been really fun selling popcorn,” Whittaker said. “They’re good, fresh and something to buy.”

From chocolate, to candles, to popcorn, to meat, to reusable shopping bags, fundraising is a fact of life in the public school setting, necessary to help offset the costs of an organization’s activities.

“The reason we are selling popcorn is because we need the fundraiser to go to competition and to buy our costumes,” Megan Liles, Sapphire Dance director, said. “Also, the school benefits because any student-led activity teaches them skills that they can use, whether it be selling popcorn or dancing.”

Selection is regulated to ensure that different groups are not selling like-products at the same time. Students and other consumers get a variety of opportunities to support their favorite groups or indulge in their favorite products.

DECA, a business and marketing club, is currently selling Worlds Finest Chocolate bars while the Sapphire’s are selling popcorn. FFA members are hocking roasted turkeys and hams, bacon and fruit for the holidays.

“Business is going great,” freshman Sapphire Dancer Shelby Stewart said. “People are actually buying our popcorn and are constantly coming back for more.”

According to sophomores Whitney Belland and Leah Lynch, the most popular popcorn flavor sold is caramel. There are plenty of varieties, but there is an endless demand for caramel.

“I like the caramel one,” Lacey Stewart said. “They have good flavors and affordable prices.”

DECA is also fundraising for competitions.

“It’s a benefit in so many ways,” DECA sponsor Elvira Cruz said. “If we make it to internationals, the school gets recognized for sending their students into hardcore business competitions. Secondly, students learn how to sell merchandise and make profit from it.”

Booster clubs also get involved in fundraising. The ROTC Booster Club is selling reusable shopping bags in anticipation of the city of Austin’s plastic bag ban in March.

With consumable products, it is sometimes difficult to gauge how popular a product will be.

“We underestimated the demand for chocolate,” Cruz said. “Its a win/win situation for both sides. We make profit off of things we know people want, our boxes are all sold out and we are ordering new ones. But get them now because there is a limited time.”