Disability Focus at Heart of HOSA Service Project

Image by Natalie Windolph
HOSA students work work people with disabilities to compete at their UIL competition.

Many clubs come up with creative ways to compete against other schools, but HOSA has come up with a creative way that educates the community as well. HOSA stands for Health Occupation Students of America and students work on service projects throughout the school year to raise community awareness. In their current project, students are educating the community about different disabilities. The efforts of the students include passing out flyers about people with disabilities. The group consists of four students: junior Pooshan Shah, junior Natalie Windolph, junior Emily Chandonnet and junior Will Maynard. The project was inspired by Windolph’s father who has recently transitioned from using his cane to using a wheelchair.

“My family has seen all the difficulties and struggles he has had to face,” Windolph said. “A HOSA group wanted to help out and do something to raise awareness in the community to make life easier not only for a handicapped person but their families as well.”

The group started their project over the summer and began to meet once a week during Zone class to talk about their ideas. The on-going project will help the group compete at the Area Competition in January in a community awareness category at Westlake High School. If they place in the top three in their event at the area competition, the group will advance to the state competition, where they can add to their project in the time between area and state.

“The issue is something that is extremely dear to our hearts,” Windolph said. “People with disabilities already have had a tough enough life so why do we make it harder for them.”

Students who would like to join in on the group’s efforts to raise awareness for people with disabilities or would like more information, should contact Health Science teachers Vickie Hamilton, Lynn Matthews, Kathy Schneider, Shirley Shofner or any of the group members.