Erin Balfour Wins Teacher of the Year

Erin Balfour won teacher of the year. She teaches English III at the AP and regular levels.

English III teacher Erin Balfour received teacher of the year.Each year, teachers are asked to nominate their colleagues as best teacher. Teachers nominate one another for their unique teaching techniques.“I try to use technology in my teaching, and I generally have a positive attitude,” Balfour said.

Balfour has taught at McNeil eight out of the nine years she has been teaching.

“I love watching students come to an understanding of a concept or text that makes them excited about English,” Balfour said.

Winning teacher of the year would normally make one proud, but Balfour had an even better reaction.

“[I had a reaction of] humility, “ Balfour said. “There are so many great people on campus and it’s an honor to be thought of by colleagues, but I’m great because of my colleagues and students.”

Balfour’s students agree with the nomination, and enjoy her teaching.

“Mrs. Balfour is funny and nice to be around; she describes answers to questions well, too,” junior JJ McCou said.

“I really like Mrs. Balfour and how passionate she is about her teaching; she really helps us understand the material,” junior Julia Bailey said.

“She’s a really cool teacher: serious when she needs to be, but funny at times to keep the class fun,” junior Dustin McCormack said.