Events Rescheduled as a Result of Broken Water Main

On April 3, McNeil High School was the only school in all of Round Rock ISD to receive an unexpected “holiday.” Due to a break in a 24-inch water main on Parmer on April 2, the water was deemed not suitable for consumption. All classes were canceled the following day so Austin Water Utility could work on fixing the problem.

Classes resumed on Thursday, April 4, but there was a boil water notice, so students were not able to drink water from the fountains. The boil water notice extended to the surrounding neighborhood, including the PAC, and residents were instructed to boil water before consumption.

Because sophomore STAAR testing was scheduled to take place on Wednesday, Reading EOC went ahead as scheduled for Thursday and Writing EOC was rescheduled for Friday.

Other events needing to be rescheduled included the boys’ soccer playoff game was moved to the Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex Friday, while the softball game was moved to Friday, as well. The district tennis tournament was moved from Thursday-Friday to Monday-Tuesday at Old Settlers Park.

Austin Water Utility fixed the pipe break and the boil water notice was lifted late Thursday afternoon. The water fountains and sinks were back in use.

As of now, McNeil is scheduled to make up the missed school day on Memorial Day, May 27. District administrators will request a waiver from the Texas Education Agency to not make up the missed school day. State law requires 180 instructional days.