National Ranking Keeps McNeil in Spotlight

McNeil students, faculty and staff are doing outstanding, and it shows: McNeil is ranked 76 out of the entire state and 696 nationally, 1870 schools were ranked in total . Westwood was the only other school in Round Rock ISD to place – with 22 as their state ranking and 144 as their national rank. The ranking is done by US News and World Report.

“Many of the schools on the list are academy or magnet schools, where one of the main points is getting ready for college,” Principal John Yonker said. “For McNeil and Westwood to place is impressive.”

The rankings covered four categories: students/teachers, college readiness, math average proficiency, and reading average proficiency. The student/teacher section is a ratio of students to teachers and the numbers include words such as “smaller than TX average” or “near TX average.”

College readiness is based on Advanced Placement testing, number of those who tested and those who passed, and state testing. Math and reading are just the proficiency ratings with 4.0 as the best for math and 3.7 as the best for reading. McNeil received the numbers: student/teacher ratio, 14:1; college readiness, 39.7; math proficiency, 3.4; and reading proficiency, 3.3. Westwood received 15:1, 67.3, 3.6, and 3.6.

“These type of accolades are much more difficult for large, comprehensive high schools,” Yonker said. “Great job. This could not happen without a very talented faculty.”