McNeil AVID Students Take A Trip To Deerpark

On Sept.14 AVID IV students visited Deerpark Middle School to collaborate with the kids. The group played games, talked and bonded in hopes of shaking away fears of going to high school.

“It was like a blast from the past, we can kind of see back,” senior Zack Wasson said. “Those kids were us. We were just talking about classes and how middle school is going. It was cool getting back in that environment. From their view, they’re just trying to see what being a grown-up is like, they want to see into their future.”

The goal of the recent trip was to get introduced to the middle schoolers and close the gap between the two different schools.

“McNeil and Deerpark both have AVID programs,” teacher and trip coordinator Laura Sullivan said. “We are trying to build the connection and community between our two schools. We are trying to find the right kids and help them be successful in middle school so that they can be successful in high school.”

Additionally, students will take multiple trips throughout the year to aid the middle schoolers with the transition between their world and the high school sphere.

“I know how hard it’s been for my freshmen [students] to transition from smaller middle schools to a big high school,” Sullivan said. “They can get lost, have to be more responsible and organized – but the whole point is AVID is so that once those kids learn those skills in middle school, they can be a lot more ready for high school.”

The next trip will take place sometime next month in October. AVID IV students will be returning to tutor the kids and guide them through their homework and classes.

“[The trip was] quite an adventure,” senior Annie Kuzmanovski said. “I felt that the trip was really great, and I can’t wait to go back! I hope they end up loving McNeil just as much as I do, and enjoy the high school experience.”