Nikki Haley Wins Republican Primary in Washington D.C.

Photo courtesy of NBC News.

Former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley secured her first victory in the Republican presidential primary race on Sunday, winning the Washington D.C. contest and breaking Donald Trump’s winning streak.

Haley won 63% of the vote in the nation’s capital, with Trump coming in second with 33%. Although the District of Columbia has only a small number of delegates, the win is significant for Haley as it demonstrates her ability to challenge the former president.

On the other hand, Trump’s campaign downplayed the loss, with the former president posting on Truth Social that he “purposely stayed away from the D.C. vote.” Despite the setback, Trump still remains the frontrunner in the GOP primary race, having won several states already. However, Haley’s victory in Washington D.C. may still give her an upper campaign momentum heading into the next round of primaries.

The D.C. primary result underscores the division within the Republican Party, with some voters seeking an alternative to Trump and others remaining loyal to the former president. As the primary season continues, it remains to be seen whether Haley can consolidate support among the GOP base and pose a serious challenge to Trump’s nomination bid.