Swimmers Successful at AISD Invitational

The Maverick swim team competed in the AISD Invitational Meet at UT Friday. McNeil had 40 different swims in which students swam faster than they ever had before for the school team.

“We have had a lot of new swimmers contributing to our success early on this season,” coach Johnny Foss said. “That is not usual but very welcome.”

The success of the team stems from the multiple hours students spend practicing. In practices, students perform different swimming sets that add up to a distance anywhere between three and six miles. Many students swim for a club team in the evenings in addition to the school team, as well as regularly attend some kind of strength sessions.

“Being on the Mav swim team helps me build character,” junior Cara Chin said. “Once you’ve gone through a practice you feel invincible.”

The desire to work hard that students have regarding swimming for the Mavs comes from themselves.

“I am not a great cheerleader,” Foss said. “The students are really self-motivated.”

As the season goes on and the team gains more success, members of the swim team are gaining confidence.

“The kids have put forth a very focused effort,” Foss said. “Kids are starting to believe how good they really can be.”