Mav Tennis Back On Track

Junior+Olivia+Li+prepares+to+serve+at+the+Big+Red+Invitational.+
Image by Cindy Wu
Junior Olivia Li prepares to serve at the Big Red Invitational.

The Maverick tennis team hit the road March 1 to compete in the annual Big Red Invitational at Belton High School. The tournament hosted schools the Mavs have been competing against all year including Georgetown, Cedar Park and Belton. With stiff competition, the Mavs wanted to improve on lackluster results at the previous tournament hosted by Westwood.

In the “A” boys singles draw, senior Sarang Bhadsavle lost in the second round to the eventual champion from Waco Midway. After suffering from a back injury for several weeks, Bhadsavle finished at an impressive sixth place.

In the “B” boys singles draw, freshman Pranav Pradhan also finished in sixth place, the best result for the first-year letterman all year long.

The consistent boys doubles pair of senior Brandon Minns and junior Alex Minca placed sixth in the “A” boys doubles draw after losing a tight match to the eventual second place team of Waco Midway.

Back at mixed doubles, seniors Jared Hahne and Marielle Catolos cruised to the semifinals with a huge win over Waco Midway in the “A” draw. The pair lost convincingly to the eventual champions Georgetown but recovered to win third place against Harker Heights.

The tennis team will continue to train for the district tournament in April, and will have one last tune-up tournament at Hendrickson at the end of March.