Chambers Place Fifth in National Competition

Chambers Choir won fifth place in the nation for Mark of Excellence. Results of the award winners were released Sept. 15. Chambers is one of five choirs who placed for a national award.

“I was kind of shocked at first, I can’t lie,” senior Anish Saha said. “Because I didn’t think it was real. I thought it was a joke and then I was like ‘Oh shoot this is actually real.’ I still can’t believe it.”

Judges in the competition take the entirety of summer to judge, evaluate and give feedback on all submissions.

“There were a quarter 50 to 500 entries so it’s a lot of recordings to listen to,” choir director Wendi Burwinkel said. “I didn’t even get a notification from the company. One of the other winners, a middle school director, had posted on Facebook and tagged all the other winners including myself, so when I was on Facebook that’s how I found out.”

Chambers submitted UIL recordings to the national competition ‘Foundation of Music for Education’ last spring semester at the beginning of April.

“We went to the competition website and looked it up, and sure enough we were there on the national winners,” Burwinkel said. “I’m very proud of them. It’s their first national award.”