IB Campus Next Year

McNeil High School has been officially recognized as an IB World School by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO). This will help with McNeil’s commitment to encouraging students academically.

The International Baccalaureate, wants to create a better world through education. It aims to cultivate students who are not only knowledgeable but also caring and active contributors to society. McNeil joins the ranks of esteemed institutions all across the globe dedicated to this noble cause.

Ms. Hinegardner, the IB coordinator, speaks on her experience as an IB coordinator.

“I’ve been two different types of coordinators, one for the middle years program and one for six years,” Hinegardner said. “I’ve been in PFPs for two years for the diploma program. Total of 8 years.”

Starting in the fall of 2024, McNeil will offer the full IB Diploma Program to its first class of students. There are six key principles to this program: inquiry-based learning, conceptual understanding and differentiation to meet the needs of all learners.

The IB Programme has a commitment to making international-mindedness and self-awareness. The IB Core, consisting of Theory of Knowledge (TOK), Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) and the Extended Essay, provides students with opportunities to explore the nature of knowledge, engage in independent research and think about their own identities.

“I believe they will just give McNeil students another advantageous academic option,” Hinegardner said. “McNeil already has AP courses, dual credit options and IB just gives another option.”

Furthermore, the IB Diploma Programme offers a diverse range of subjects across six groups, including Language and Literature, Language Acquisition, Individuals and Societies, Sciences, Mathematics and The Arts. This holistic approach to education ensures students receive a well-rounded and challenging academic experience.

As McNeil embarks on this new journey, the school community celebrates this milestone achievement and looks forward to the positive impact it will have on students’ lives. The IB program has the enhanced opportunity to empower the next generation of leaders, thinkers and trailblazers.