Former President Donald Trump To Remain on Presidential Ballot

The Supreme Court unanimously ruled that former president Donald Trump is to remain on the presidential primary ballot on Mar. 4, following attempts to remove him from the ballot in some states.

In response to Trump being found to have incited the January 6 attacks on the capitol, the state of Colorado, along with others, attempted to remove Trump from the presidential primary ballot, on the grounds of 14th amendment rights. The Supreme Court has ruled that barring Trump from the ballot is not protected under the 14th amendment.

“It’s clear Donald Trump tried to violently overturn an election,” Democrat Bill Pascrell posted on X, the first of his party to speak out about the Supreme Court’s ruling. “The text of our Constitution may be inconvenient and unpleasant to execute, but the text [of the 14th amendment] is clear despite any loophole the republican supreme court carves out.”

Section three of the 14th amendment states that any person that, while under oath to protect the constitution, aided or engaged in insurrection can not hold presidential office, and that with a two-thirds majority in each house, Congress may remove such disability to hold office.

“The Supreme Court unanimously showed us today that we cannot silence the voice of the American people and stop democracy,” Trump’s lawyer Alina Habba posted on X. “I’ve said it before – lawfare will not stand, due to process will not be denied and We The People will make our choice at the ballot box.”

The ruling faced backlash from many democrats and the Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold spoke out, saying the decision strips states of their right to enforce section three of the 14th amendment. However, following the ruling, Trump posted on social media, “BIG WIN FOR AMERICA!!!”

“Today’s ruling confirms what Republicans have been arguing: the American people get to pick their candidates, not activists or bureaucrats,” Republican National Committee Leader Ronna McDaniel posted on X. “The RNC was proud to fight in the Supreme Court alongside President Trump’s campaign and other Republican partners.”