Best Off-Campus Lunch Options Offer Variety

Image by Quinn Phelan
Senior Anthony Rodriguez enjoys a drink from Whataburger, a burger joint and local hangout for McNeil students.

When you think of places to eat during lunch around McNeil, there are a ton of options. So much so, that I think McNeil has the best location in regards to options for lunch more than any other high school in the district.

There are the quick, cheap fast food options in McDonalds and Wendys. Then you have your slightly more upscale, local fast food options in Whataburger and Sonic. You have your healthy sandwich options in Schlotzsky’s and Quiznos, and even a coffee shop in Starbucks. I haven’t even mentioned the sit-down places in Al Forno pizza and Chipotle, or the dessert options in Rita’s Italian Ice or Yogo Bowl.

Bottom line is that McNeil has plenty of options, but which ones are the best? I’m giving out a few awards just to breakdown the best options.

Most Popular: Whataburger

This place at times can be jam-packed after football or basketball games because of the local appeal of the place, and that’s why everyone loves Whataburger. This place is a favorite for many because of the Whataburger Classics menu, and that’s why it gets the most popular moniker.

Most Cost Effective: Wendy’s

You can get a lot of food at Wendy’s for a cheap price, which is always a plus. Also this place has a slightly higher quality of product than McDonald’s.

Best Kept Secret: Smokey Mo’s

Tucked away in the back corner of the HEB shopping center towards Wendy’s, a lot of people don’t go there because they just don’t see it. However, this barbecue is pretty darn good, and they have several good deals and a buy one get one free sandwich deal.

Most Healthy: Schlotzsky’s

This place may not have the popularity of Whataburger, but it’s a favorite for some because of the healthy options of the menu such as made from scratch bread and the local ingredients used in their sandwiches and pizzas.

Overall Best Food: Chipotle

Coming from personal experience, I have never left Chipotle disappointed. Their burritos, salads and bowls are all top quality. The amount of options they have makes it to where everyone can personalize their burrito or salad just the way they like. Plus they give you a free drink if your a McNeil student.