Staff’s Favorite and Least Favorite Met Gala Looks

Monday night the Met held their annual 2024 Met Gala, the dress code was “Garden Of Time.” The hosts this year were Zendaya, Jennifer Lopez, Bad Bunny and Chris Hemsworth. The Met Gala is well known for its variety of fashion. Five of our reporters share their favorite and least favorite looks and why they made their choices.

Photo courtesy of Getty Images.

Scout’s Favorite – Elle Fanning

This theme seemed like it was made for Elle Fanning and like the many years before she encapsulated the theme perfectly. The glasslike dress by Balmain looked as if birds made of ice were dressing her, bringing a sleeping beauty aspect to the look. Her accessories and makeup are kept simple to keep the attention to the dress and incorporate her signature romantic aura. The look is overall beautiful and made for her to wear.

Photo courtesy of Getty Images.

Scout’s Least Favorite – Gracie Abrams

Gracie Abrams did not just miss the theme entirely but wore a dress that you could probably find at Macy’s in 2006. The polka dot daisy blouse and pink tulle skirt pulled together with a belt looks like an outfit you would find in Jess from New Girl’s closet.

Photo courtesy of Getty Images.

Cooper’s favorite – Ben Simmons

Ben Simmons’ outfit shines as one of the only men who appeared to care about this year’s Met Gala theme. The flannel print that starts at the top and slowly fades out along with the flowing vine embroidered on the jacket are the highlights of this look. It’s not so over-the-top that it makes a statement, but it’s not so simple or casual that it looks like he grabbed a suit out of his closet. To top it all off, the clock briefcase makes this Thom Browne outfit one of this year’s best.

Photo courtesy of Getty Images.

Cooper’s least favorite – Josh O’Connor

Josh O’Connor’s Met Gala look wouldn’t be as bad without the floral clogs, which ironically is the most on-theme part of this outfit. The double tailcoat suit is another questionable choice and just adds to the overall confusion of this look. At least O’Connor tried something, and even if it didn’t land, it’s better than the numerous attendees who threw on a black tuxedo and called it a day.

Photo courtesy of Getty Images.

Olivia’s Favorite – Zendaya

Zendaya always stands out at the Met Gala and this year is no different. Zendaya wore a blue and green Maison Margiela dress that encapsulates the theme Garden Of Time perfectly. The ruffles and reflective materials make it look almost like a peacock. The garden vines, flowers and birds elevate this dress by giving a 3D element and pieces to tie in every corner of the outfit. Her outfit is bold and obnoxious in the best way, fully going in for the garden theme and completely overshadowing many of the looks that took a lighter and daintier approach to the theme. 

Photo courtesy of Getty Images.

Olivia’s least favorite – Matt Damon

Matt Damon’s outfit at the Met Gala did not impress. While his Dior suit is very nice and he looks put together, it does not compare to other outfits where people went all out, nor does it follow the Garden of Time theme. He seems to almost blend into the background and not stand out in any way.

Photo courtesy of Variety.

Hannah’s favorite – Emma Chamberlain in Jean Paul Gaultier

The Met Gala is all about embracing new surprising fashion, Emma Chamberlain does just that. The unique threaded print on a simple tight dress expresses a complex message without turning it into an eyesore. The neutral-colored vine pattern creates an organic appearance matching the garden aspect of the theme; combined with a dark gothic look expressed through 

her makeup and jewelry alluding to reawakening fashion. 

Photo courtesy of WWD.

Hannah’s least favorite – Alexandra Michler Kopelman

Alexandra Michler Kopelman’s floral print outfit implies that she attempted the theme, but missed the mark spectacularly. It’s not classy, which wouldn’t be an issue if there was something important being expressed. It relates to something I’d see in my grandmother’s closet rather than a prestigious event. The colorful floral print is uninvolved, the chunky blue necklace doesn’t match and the silhouette is overall unflattering. 

Photo courtesy of Getty Images.

Harper’s Favorite – Rebecca Hall

Rebecca Hall did an amazing job of embodying the theme without being cheesy and obnoxious. Her outfit offers a colorful arrangement of florals with a light and airy feel that the light blue color and train provide. The dress reminds me of a modern depiction of the blue gown Aurora wore in the 1959 Sleeping Beauty animated film which could be a nod to the Met theme “Sleeping Beauties Re-awakening Fashion.” Overall Hall’s outfit is fresh and elegant and goes with the dress code Garden Of Time.

Photo courtesy of Getty Images.

Harpers Least Favorite –  Zoe Saldaña

Zoe Saldaña really disappointed this year, the outfit lacks color and depth and is like a walking Chloe advertisement instead of a Met look. Not only does her outfit completely ignore the theme by being void of any prints that nod to a Garden Of Time, unless she’s going for the garden’s dirt, but the outfit is also just boring and simple which is not what the Met gala should represent. It isn’t only Saldaña who has been disappointing, most of the stars who wore Chloe to the Met this year came out with a very basic outfit. Overall it leaves much to be desired and does not embrace the beauty of Saldaña herself.