Filed under News, Showcase, Sports

Leading the Pack

Varsity track and field athletes represent at Region II-6A meet

Hurdlers Reed Hartle (11) and AJ Dillett (12) work hard to advance to the regional-level meet in the 300m hurdles.

Jacob Avner

Jacob Avner

The track and field season came to an end in April. Qualifying members of the varsity track team competed at the District 13/14 6A Area Meet in Marble Falls on April 19 and the Region II Meet on April 28 and 29. At area, the girls team was runner-up.

“Having our women’s varsity team take runner-up at the meet was a true testament to all of our hard work this season,” junior Maddie Marrone said.

The area meet was largely successful for the team, with the girls second overall and many individuals and relays performing their best all season and placing in the top four.

“I was very excited to make area and compete at the next level,” Marrone said. “Going into the race my goal was to help the Lady Mavericks team and try to place in the top three in the mile.”

Many hurdlers represented the Mavericks, advancing from area with several placing in finals at regionals. Faith Tormusa-Koroma (11) placed eighth in the 100m hurdles final. Julia Perry (10) competed in both the 100m and 300m hurdles prelims. Rozlyne Manor (10) ran the 300m hurdles. AJ Dillett (12) and Reed Hartle (11) placed fifth and eighth in the 300m hurdles finals.

Several middle and long distance runners also had success at the competitive meets. Marrone, district champion in both the 1600m run and 3200m run, placed second in the 1600m run at area and competed in regionals for the first time. Larissa Herold (12) ran a personal record at area, coming in third and qualifying for regionals. Justin Hernandez (12) won the district- and area-level meets in the 400m dash by a large margin, and he placed fourth in the region.

Field events also sent region qualifiers. Haley Birt (12) and Katelyn Kalina (10) advanced in the pole vault, both vaulting nine feet, as did Aden Arrington (11), vaulting 11 feet, 6 inches. Shot putter Elisha Franklin (12) placed 10th at region.

The girls varsity team brought all three relays, the 4x100m, 4x200m, and 4x400m, to regionals, and the boys qualified in the 4x400m, though none advanced to finals.

“Regionals was a first for me this year, and despite it’s many challenges it is an experience I will not forget,” Marrone said. “I am so proud of our team this season and I can’t wait to see what is in store for us next year.”