‘Perks’ Of A Great Story

Logan+Lerman+and+Emma+Watson+star+in+the+film.+
Image by Google Images
Logan Lerman and Emma Watson star in the film.
“The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” the 1999 novel penned by Stephen Chbosky, was released as a film for limited viewings on Sept. 28. Being a passionate Harry Potter fan, I immediately took notice to Emma Watson as a member of the film’s cast. In need of a good read, I decided to pick up the book and read through it before I saw the film. Since buying the novel, I have read it twice and can call it my favorite book of all time. Fortunately, the movie captures the story with ease and tells a story that every teenager should know.The main character, Charlie, tells his story by writing letters to an anonymous friend that he feels will understand him. In a matter of a few sentences, I was hooked by Charlie’s thoughts and his ability to be irrationally honest. Charlie is the kind of person who knows that he has problems and accepts the fact that he doesn’t know how to solve them. His ability to observe the dysfunctional relationships and social corruption around him make him a “wallflower” and ultimately gives him inspiration for his letters.Chbosky demonstrates masterful storytelling throughout the book by using his dynamic set of characters. Other characters in the novel include Charlie’s sister, his group of misfit friends and an aunt that will have a lasting impact on his life. Even though everyone in his life goes through so much, the reader’s sympathies will lie with Charlie, as he sincerely wants everyone in his life to be happy. Chbosky uses every word in a clever way to depict what is happening in Charlie’s mind, and ultimately his heart. Never has a story depicted teenage angst and fervor in such a down-to-earth way. The content even retains humor without exaggerating the struggles of high school life.The movie focuses on the humor in the book with emphasis on the characters and their quirky personalities. Emma Watson, as Sam, is an endearing role for the Harry Potter star but successfully portrays the love of Charlie’s life. In fact, Logan Lerman as Charlie is brilliant as the shy yet intricate character. One thing Chbosky does well is make sure that his characters stay grounded and never leave the realm of who they are in the book. The result is a story about the characters that is effortless to connect with on an emotional level. Great control of the book’s plot allows the movie to bring the ups and downs from the novel into a fantastic cinematic experience.

There are some novels that will always define a generation, such as the way Harry Potter has done for the teens of the 21st century. “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” takes a snapshot of high school life in the ‘90s and turns it into a heartfelt story with honest characters. Without a doubt, the book and film are the most accurate depiction of high school that popular media can present in an intellectual and respectful way. “Perks” isn’t afraid to pull punches, but actually pulls punches on the emotions of anyone who has gone through high school being afraid of who they are and why they are different.