Battle of the Social Networks: Twitter vs. Facebook

From Xanga, MySpace, Facebook and Twitter, our generation is used to the continuously changing scene of social media. What exactly makes Facebook or Twitter the better, more constant feed of information, however?In order to answer this question, we must examine the similarities and differences of the websites. One new Twitter feature is the option to share the activity with Facebook, which might pose the question: “What is the point of Twitter?”Twitter, while it allows users to post “tweets” to the news feed similarly to a “status” on Facebook, differs in the constant news feed of strictly tweets. The website and/or iPhone app is more user friendly than Facebook, because of the smaller feed of info. On Twitter, one can tweet original thoughts, retweet (share) a tweet they like or favorite tweets they enjoy.Facebook, on the other hand, according to its new changes, has a broader range of uses. From playing games, keeping a birthday calendar, uploading multiple photos and creating groups, this website has less privacy. Everything you post on your friend’s wall is visible on your own wall, unless otherwise specified in your privacy settings.

Originally, Facebook was created for the use of college students as a closed network, but due to the exponential growth of users and public attention, was opened up for public use. It became more and more like what MySpace was used for – silly survey notes, displaying relationship statuses, and a general drama creator.

Now, it has turned away from those days of boredom notes and teenage drama holders. It is common to find teachers, parents and young adults alike online, reconnecting with old friends or simply using Facebook for specific group updates.

While Twitter and Facebook are both used for social networking and an online diary per se, Facebook is used more for finding specific, personal information, as it allows you to create an exact profile, complete with photos, bio, interests and videos, while Twitter is one picture, one bio, and however many tweets you wish.

Those of you who are already on Facebook, how often do you get annoyed when one of your friends chooses to update their status every hour, few minutes, or even more than once a day? That’s because Facebook contains more than just status updates, and with the amount of info it posts on a news feed, the social expectation is to post maybe one status per day, give or take. If however, a Twitter user chooses to tweet many times a day, or hour, that is expected, because that is all Twitter is.

So the real question here is, do you want to be a part of a constant news feed of just personal ideas, or an entire network of users’ profiles, photos, work groups or more?