Academic UIL Students Advance to Regional Competition; OAP Heads to Area

UIL contestants competed at the district meet hosted by Hendrickson High School with qualifiers advancing to the Region II meet in Waco April 20.

Journalism students competed in news, feature, editorial and headline writing. Sophomore Aleah Goldberg advances onto regional competition after placing third in news writing. Junior Shannon Steidel placed fourth in editorial writing and fifth in feature writing.

The speech and debate team advanced three students to the UIL regional tournament: Kashmira Velji in Prose Interpretation, Sean Marburger in Poetry Interpretation and Bryce Pennell in Lincoln-Douglas Debate.

Pennell is the first regional qualifier McNeil has seen in more than 10 years. Also, Mustafa Monk is the first alternate for Extemporaneous Speaking.

“The team put in serious work to prepare for the district tournament,” debate coach Aguilar said.

Also participating in UIL at Hendrickson, the theater students performed a One Act play entitled “A Flea In Her Ear.” The One Act Play advanced onto the district level of the competition.

“All of the cast, crew and alternates did an amazing job of pulling together to have a wonderful performance,” theater teacher Erin Pena said.

The following students from McNeil were also recognized for their efforts: Best Actress, Abby Ploch; Best Actor, David Williams; All Star Cast, Rodrigo Morales and Chase Naylor; Honorable Mention All Star Cast, Jeremy Medina and Lauren Wright; and Honor Crew; Courtney Kenyon.

It is rare to have a Best Actor and Actress from one school.

“Special thanks to Jen Sloan and Keith Gruber for stepping in and filling cast and crew roles at the last minute due to emergency,” Pena said.

OAP advanced to Area after competing at the district level and competed at Temple High School on April 9. The following students were recognized for their efforts during district competition: Tech, Jordan Shaw; Honorable Mention All Star Cast, Lauren Wright; All Star Cast, Rodrigo Morales, Chase Naylor and David Williams.